What are the main characteristics of the best recessed lighting? Many homeowners would name long life span, energy efficiency, safety and ease of installation among the most important choice criteria. While naming the characteristics of good recessed lighting is quite an easy and intuitive task, finding the right product is way more challenging.
What size recessed lights are best for a bedroom? Or what size can lights should I choose for a kitchen? Should I use 4-inch or 6-inch recessed lights in a kitchen? These are some very important questions. So if you feel like you need some help with this tough but really important choice, this review of the best LED recessed lights is something you might need right now. See a cool selection of proven products.
Table of Contents
- Best Recessed Lighting in January, 2019
- 1. Hykolity – Best LED Downlights for Kitchen Applications
- 2. Parmida Disk Light – Best Dimmable LED Recessed Lighting (Retrofit)
- 3. TORCHSTAR – An Ultra-Thin 6-inch Recessed LED Lighting Kit
- 4. Sunco Lighting (Baffle Trim) – A Dimmable Recessed LED Lighting Kit for Residential and Commercial Applications
- 5. Lithonia Lighting – Best Dimmable LED Recessed Light for Small Areas
- 6. Sunco Lighting (Smooth Trim) – Best LED Retrofit Recessed Light
- 7. Globe Electric 4″ Swivel Spotlight – Best LED Can Lights for Kitchen (Bulbs not Included)
- How to Choose the Right Recessed Lighting – AWESOME Buyer’s Guide
Best Recessed Lighting in January, 2019
|Product||Brightness (Lumens)||Wattage||Lifespan (hours)||Trim|
|Parmida Disk Light||1050||15||50,000||Flush|
|Sunco Lighting (Baffle Trim)||965||13||35,000||Baffle|
|Sunco Lighting (Smooth Trim)||830||13||35,000||Smooth|
|Globe Electric 4" Swivel Spotlight||N/A||7||N/A||Gimbal|
1. Hykolity – Best LED Downlights for Kitchen Applications
These replacement recessed lights for retrofit applications are supplied by Hykolity Lighting – a US distributor that specializes on wholesales of LED lighting. This particular product features a sleek design with a smooth trim that reflects the beam and helps maximize brightness. However, because the light is recessed into the trim, the beam angle is 20° less than in Parmida lights. Nevertheless, it is still sufficient to effectively illuminate large areas. The lumen output of these recessed lights is great enough to provide exceptional brightness, even if installed on high ceilings.This LED recessed lighting kit for remodeling is supplied with all the necessary wiring and adapters and is ready to be installed right out of the box. Instructions manual is also supplied, so even non-electricians can handle the installation. This lighting provides an optimal combination of brightness and energy efficiency.
Features and benefits
- 1150 Lumens.
- Energy consumption: 13 Watts.
- Dimmable recessed lights.
- 100° beam angle.
- Available in 3 color temperatures.
- Smooth trim.
- CRI 82 (color rendering index).
- Compatible with 6-inch cans.
2. Parmida Disk Light – Best Dimmable LED Recessed Lighting (Retrofit)
This Parmida LED lighting kit is designed for retrofit applications, but can also be used as a part of brand new lighting installations. It does not include cans but comes with adapters that can be used with those cans. The kit also includes wire nuts, spring connectors, a set of wires and screws. These lights are compatible with any of the 5-inch or 6-inch recessed cans.
Integrated LED lights put out impressive 1050 lumens (an equivalent of a 120 Watt halogen bulb). At the same time, energy consumption is rather low and can help you save up to 88% on your electricity bill.This disk lighting is mounted flush with the ceiling. The advantage of such an application is that the beam is not hindered by the trim, providing uninterrupted and shadow-free illumination of large areas. Besides, the trim measures only 1 inch in width, while the rest of the space is dedicated to the light itself.
- 1050 Lumens (120W equivalent).
- Energy consumption: 15 Watts.
- Dimmable lights.
- 120° beam angle.
- Damp rated.
- The lighting is available in 4 color temperatures.
- Measures 7.25 inches in diameter.
3. TORCHSTAR – An Ultra-Thin 6-inch Recessed LED Lighting Kit
If you have low ceilings with little clearance, most of the recessed lighting fixtures are just unavailable. In this case, you might want to consider these super-thin recessed lights from Torchstar. It requires only 2 inches of space to be mounted. There are no cans that take up a lot of space and just won’t fit in narrow ceilings. The junction box is also rather compact. Thanks to such a simple design, these lights are rather easy to install. They come with integrated 100W equivalent LED bulbs.
The Torchstar recessed lights are available in two color temperatures: cool white (4000K) and daylight (5000K). Both options are dimmable ranging from 5% to 100% of brightness intensity. The LED lights are rather energy efficient and long-lasting. The housing is made of aluminum, which is lightweight and corrosion-resistant.
- 850 Lumen LED lights.
- 6 inches in diameter.
- Open trim.
- Up to 36,000 hours lifespan.
- Available in 4000K and 5000K color temperatures.
4. Sunco Lighting (Baffle Trim) – A Dimmable Recessed LED Lighting Kit for Residential and Commercial Applications
This is a set of long-lasting LED recessed lights. Each light is concealed in a durable case with baffle trim. This type of trim looks clean and simple and helps reduce the excessive brightness. Lamps enclosed by baffle trims emit soft, glare-free light that is easy on the eyes.
This lighting fixture is available in different color temperatures, from soft white to daylight. 5000K light is perfect for living rooms, kitchens, studios, as well as offices, restaurants, hotels, and other commercial venues. Besides, the light is dimmable and allows you to choose the right intensity between 10 and 100 percent to create a perfect ambiance in your living or working environment.The Sunco Lighting fixture is easy to install. Mounting does not require any additional components, only those that come in a set. If you need to illuminate a large room you can choose a set of 12 recessed lights to save some money.
- Guaranteed 35 000 hours of life.
- Baffle trim.
- White color.
- Suitable for 5-inch and 6-inch retrofit installations.
- 13 Watts.
- 965 lumens.
5. Lithonia Lighting – Best Dimmable LED Recessed Light for Small Areas
If you need perfect recessed lighting for a small area, this is the option you should consider. This ceiling light is just perfect for space-saving installations. Its low-profile design allows it to be installed in apartments, attics, corridors, stairwells, and other areas with low ceilings. Besides, this lighting fixture is wet rated, so it can be used outdoors – on verandas, open gazebos, terraces, and porches, as well as in bathrooms, showers and wet rooms. It can also be used in soffit lighting installations to create an unforgettable outdoor ambiance. The light is not as bright as in some other products discussed in this review but sufficient for most of the small and medium-sized locations.
- 750 Lumens.
- Energy consumption: 10 Watts.
- Available in 3 color temperatures.
- Flush mounting.
- CRI 80.
- Wet rated.
- IC listed.
- 36,000-hour lifespan.
6. Sunco Lighting (Smooth Trim) – Best LED Retrofit Recessed Light
This is another version of Sunco Lighting retrofit kit. The main difference between the two models is the trim design. This model has a smooth trim that reflects the beam and ensures even distribution of light all over the room. If you need more brightness and fewer shadows, this option will suit your needs better.Another distinctive feature of this lighting kit is that it is applicable in wet locations. That means you can install it outdoors, where it can be affected by natural elements.
The LED lights are designed to last for 35,000 hours, i.e. almost 16 years, if used 6 hours per day. This recessed lighting fixture meets all the regulatory requirements regarding safety, energy efficiency and quality.
- 35,000-hour capacity.
- Smooth trim.
- Compatible with 5’’ and 6’’ recessed cans.
- 13 Watts.
- 4 color temperatures.
- 830 Lumens.
7. Globe Electric 4″ Swivel Spotlight – Best LED Can Lights for Kitchen (Bulbs not Included)Installation of the base unit itself is rather simple, but with replaceable bulbs, it gets even simpler. Besides, if in the future you will want to change, let’s say, the color temperature of the light, you won’t have to remove and replace the entire fixture. The best LED bulbs for recessed light can be found in big box stores or online.
The Globe Electrics recessed lighting kit is ridiculously easy to mount. Thanks to its unique push-and-click feature, the housing can be installed in seconds without any hardware required. The can and the junction box are made of rust-proof materials and are certified to be used with insulation. Gimbal trims used in this recessed lighting fixture allow the bulbs to pivot and rotate directing the beam to the area where it is needed the most.
- Gimbal trim.
- Compatible with 7W LED bulbs.
- 5 inches in diameter.
- IC rated.
- Damp rated.
How to Choose the Right Recessed Lighting – AWESOME Buyer’s Guide
Whether you are in search for the best recessed lighting for a kitchen or the best LED bulbs for recessed lighting, here are some important things to consider.
- Type of installation. If you want to replace your old lighting, there is no need to remove the cans. You can just buy a retrofit LED recessed lighting replacement and perform an easy installation. Some compatibility issues might occur, but still, it’s a simpler way than to replace the whole system. If you are planning a new installation from scratch, you naturally have more options. And can choose almost any product that is more to your liking.
- Type of trim. There are many types of trims, which can be roughly divided into two categories: with a recessed bulb and flush trims. The former provide more gentle illumination (especially if baffle trim is used), while the latter usually provide more brightness and have wider beam angles.
- Compatibility with dimmers. You should always check a list of dimmers compatible with particular recessed lighting you are considering.
- Color Temperature. Most of the recessed lights are available in four or five basic color temperatures. Warmer lighting is more suitable for bedrooms, sitting rooms and other locations where the cozy ambience is desirable. Cooler light is more preferable in kitchens, offices, and commercial applications.
- The greater the amount of lumens listed, the brighter a lamp would be. However, depending on the type of trim, lamps with the same amount of lumens can put out a different amount of light.
- Energy efficiency. The best bulbs for recessed lighting are those that will not need replacement after a couple of years. Modern LED bulbs can last for up to 50,000 hours, so you should keep an eye on big numbers.
Conclusion and Recommendations
Every homeowner would agree that proper lighting is one of the most important components of a home environment. Not only it illuminates the rooms during dark hours of the day, but also sets the mood and creates a desirable ambiance. There are so many possible applications for LED recessed ceiling lights – kitchens, living rooms, entryways, basements, attics, etc. Recessed lighting can be found in almost every home. It is so popular that we cannot imagine our homes without it. We cannot say definitely which recessed lights are the best. Since they all have their pros and cons. But we hope that our article will shed some light on this problem. And make the decision-making process a little bit easier for you.
See Recessed Canned Lighting Detailed Recommendations. Click here!